Ten Household Items That Can Poison Your Pet

  • Helpful article? Share it here!

  • Share
  • Email
Onions are just one of many common items potentially toxic to your dog.

Common household items can be toxic for dogs and cats. Ingestion of just a small amount of some cleaning products, food, and plants can be fatal. Other toxins, exposed to paws and skin, can cause serious illnesses. Be sure to keep the following items away from your pet.

  1. Laundry detergents and fabric softener sheets can smell sweet and intrigue a curious pet. If ingested, these can cause digestive problems, irritation of the mouth and tongue, and even death. Never put a fabric softener sheet in a pets bed or kennel to make it smell fresher.

  2. Mouse and ant killers can be tracked around the house. If exposed to a paw, it can easily be ingested causing a host of health issues. Bring your pet immediately to the vet if you suspect they have had contact with this type of poison.

  3. Chocolate, even in small amounts, can harm a dogs heart and nervous system. Never feed a dog any food containing chocolate.

  4. Ice melt on driveways and stairs can easily become stuck to paws and fur. When an animal cleans itself, ingesting the chemicals in the ice melt, there can be harmful reactions including skin irritations, seizures, and even death.

  5. Oleander, mistletoe, and lily plants are toxic to dogs and cats. Just one leaf from an oleander can kill a small pet. When discarding these plants, do not burn them. Inhaling the smoke can be harmful or even fatal to a pet.

  6. Macadamia nuts contain a toxin that can wreak havoc on a dogs digestive and nervous systems.

  7. Tylenol can be fatal for a pet. Never give dogs or cats any pain medication intended for humans. If a pet appears to be in pain, contact your vet.

  8. Antifreeze is deadly for dogs. The sweet smell attracts many dogs who lap up the pungent liquid. Use a pet friendly alternative to antifreeze.

  9. Avocados, raisins, grapes, and onions all contain toxins that are very dangerous for dogs. These foods can cause kidney failure and digestive problems. Onions can be particularly dangerous so never feed a dog any leftovers such as pizza or Chinese food.

  10. Mouthwash contains boric acid, which can be extremely harmful to your pet. Never rinse your pets mouth with an antiseptic intended for humans. And keep the liquid out of reach as the smell can attract dogs and cats.
  • Helpful article? Share it here or leave your thoughts below!

  • Share
  • Email

Leave a comment on this article here!


Name/Email
Comments
Rank

sue@coloradospringsstyle.com
I love this site. Good info.
restrictor17@embarqmail.com
this really helps i didnt knoe pizza was harmful to dogs
james
any references for this info?
Helen Valenti
great to know
kathryn
i didn't know about some of this. VERY HELPFUL.
birdsnflight2004@yahoo.com
GREAT site and will be adding a link to my web page http://www.petshackofnorthside.com where I advertise my Chihuahua, English Bull ^ Rottie Pups for sale. AWESOME SITE!
KattyBlackyard
I really like your post. Does it copyright protected?
sidhu
this is very very use full site for pet lovers...i love this site...
Mark
Interesting info, however...my 20 lb. miniature pincher ate an entire box of Whitman's Sampler ( at least a pound of chocolate) left by accident on the table as a gift for my daughter (it was giftwrapped). She made a mess the next day, but I've never seen any other ill effects. She must have quite a constitution, and eight more lives.
shenille
great website really cool
Santosh
I like it. It really provides some important note for your lovely pet.
Ariana<3
THIS INFORMATION WAS LIKE SO IMPORTANT ITS LIKE GONNA HELP MY DOG STAY ALIVE LOL
Jennifer
It is only toxic when the canine consumes his/her weight in chocolate. But like people, reactions very and can not be determined by what has happened to other dogs bc it does contain chemicals that can be potentially harmful to dogs
jENNY
""Chocolate It may be the ultimate feel-good treat, but chocolate has quite the opposite effect on your cat or dog. The chemical methylxantine is toxic to dogs and in high doses can cause abnormal heartbeats, seizures and death. In addition to the breed and size of your pet, chocolate type is also an important factor in the severity of intoxication. Dr. Schoeffler says the richer the chocolate, the higher the methylxantine content. Therefore, milk chocolate accidents are much less severe than cases involving Baker's chocolate.""
roberto alejandro
esto es muy bueno para nosotros y para la mascota
Madison
oops, we feed our dogs pizza all the time.
sherry/sherrywitort@yahoo.com
My sons dog ate about a pound of home made playdough and died.The salt made her brain swell. Beware
rags
Homemade playdough can be lethol to your dog
Ozzie
My past dog lived to be 17 plus years old and throughout her life she ate avocado on a daily basis due to the avacado trees in our back yard. she never showed any signs of illness or discomfort. she loved them.
http://dogbowlstand.org/
Great site, great article, very useful information
knowitnow@gmail.com
Awesome web site..! i didn't know a couple of the things listed on here.. Thank you for the info..!
Godass.essentials212gmail.com
my dog got into my Halloween face paint, can you please tell me if i should be alarmed or more so if it will make him sick?
Gracie
Thank you so much for putting this article out there. So many people don't know all the household items that can hurt a pet. Hopefully a lot of people will see this and won't make the mistake of letting their dog get into this stuff. Love Cockapoos?Lots of good cockapoo info here:http://www.cockapoocrazy.com/
 

Doggies Den: Latest Articles

Choosing a New Puppy Choosing a New Puppy

FIRST TIME OWNERSSo, your mom (spouse) finally allowed you to get a dog! It’s so exciting! How will you choose just one when they’re all so cute?


Overcoming Fear in Your Dog Overcoming Fear in Your Dog

DOG BEHAVIORDoes your dog hide under the bed when there’s a storm brewing? Try to hide behind you when a stranger is nearby?


Socializing Your New Puppy Socializing Your New Puppy

DOG HEALTHOne of your most important jobs as a puppy parent is to properly socialize your new little bundle of joy.


Top Ten Questions to Ask a Breeder Top Ten Questions to Ask a Breeder

BREEDERSThere are literally thousands of dog breeders in the United States, and it can be hard to know who is reputable and who is not. 


Adopting a Shelter Dog Adopting a Shelter Dog

ADOPTIONOut of every 100 dogs taken to an animal shelter, about 15 are reunited with their families, 25 are adopted, and the remainder – about 60 – are put down.


Teaching Your Puppy Not to Nip Teaching Your Puppy Not to Nip

PUPPY TRAININGAs if the pain of a puppy bite weren’t bad enough, one of the problems with puppies who nip is that they often grow up into big dogs that bite.


What is Normal Puppy Development? What is Normal Puppy Development?

PUPPIESMost of us know that when puppies are born, they have their eyes closed and they don’t know where to go to the bathroom, but do you know anything else about how they grow and develop?


Top Ten Dogs for Novice Owners Top Ten Dogs for Novice Owners

NOVICE OWNERSThe good folks at VetStreet recently polled 218 veterinary professionals to find out which dog breeds they thought were best for new owners.


Doggies Blog Icon

Doggies Blog: Latest Posts

 Subscribe

Twitter- The Dog Den

Share Doggies Here!

Share Email
     
 
 
Doggies den logo

Doggies Den:
Most Popular Articles