As you might already know, the artificial sweetener known as xylitol is poisonous to dogs in fairly small doses. I’ve been seeing this warning on Facebook quite a bit lately, so I did a little research.
According to DVM360 Veterinary News, most mainstream peanut butters do not use this additive, but xylitol is found in three specialty brands: Nuts ‘n More, Krush Nutrition and P-28 Foods.
The best way to guard against accidentally feeding your dog this dangerous sugar is to check the label before you buy your peanut butter. Many of us use peanut butter as a reward (or even just because it’s fun to watch your dog try to get it off the roof of his or her mouth!), but it’s also a hazard for dogs who like to steal things from the counter and could eat more than you intended.
It doesn’t take much xylitol to cause a problem. For a 10-pound dog, just 0.8 oz is dangerous, while for a 75-pound dog, 6 oz could cause a problem.
Xylitol is also found in sugar-free gum and candy, so make sure to keep them out of your dog’s reach.
Until next time,
Good day, and good dog!