From our friends at Orvis, the family-owned sporting, clothing and pet retailer.
1. Identification: Make sure he is microchipped and/or has a collar with contact information in case he gets loose in an unfamiliar place. Also consider bringing along a photo.
2. Daily Essentials: Leash, food and water bowls, poop bags, and any necessary regular medication.
3. Water: Bring bottled or tap water stored in plastic containers for your dog. If traveling in a warm climate, consider freezing water in advance t o ensure it’s cold so it’s palatable to the dog.
4. Food: Pack in an airtight container or zip-lock bags. There are different schools of thought on how much to bring. To minimize his chance of getting carsick, take care not to feed him within several hours of departure. For a long trip, bring along small healthy dog treats to dispense periodically.
5. Certificate of Health: Important to have in case of emergency of other unforeseen circumstances. Must be signed by an accredited veterinarian after examining your pet.
6. Restraint System: Important safety consideration not only for your dog but for yourself and other passengers in the event of an accident. At the very least, consider putting him in a travel crate or installing a dog barrier system.
7. Rear Seat Protector: Dogs can drool a lot on long trips – or worse. A rear seat or cargo-area protector could save your car!
8. Clean-Up Supplies: Related to the above, bring: old towels, paper towels, disinfectant wipes and garbage bags.
9. Bed, Blanket and Favorite Toys: To make him feel at home when he gets to the destination.
10. Rest Stops: Your dog may need more rest stops than you. Plan stops before you leave and make a note of additional rest stop options in case they’re needed. And remember, never leave him unattended in the car.
And when you get there…
Routine: Try to maintain your dog’s regular schedule and routine to minimize his stress level while he’s away from home.
Caution! Do Not Feed Table Scraps to Your Dog: Many holiday delicacies are dangerous for dogs.
Until next time,
Good day, and good dog!