The FDA is looking for clues from veterinarians and pet families as to why many dogs get sick after eating jerky treats. Since 2007, as many as 3,600 dogs have been made ill and 580 have died after eating jerky treats. No specific brand is mentioned in the press release.
Continue reading Why are Jerky Treats Making Dogs Sick?
UPDATE: The Plain Dealer is reporting that Ohio officials have confirmed a case of circovirus in a dog in the Akron area, and are testing more samples taken from other dogs who have fallen ill and may have had the virus. Eight dogs have shown similar, severe symptoms over the past few weeks and four have died.
I don’t know if this has spread anywhere else, but there is apparently a very bad and mysterious illness killing dogs in Ohio. It started at a doggie daycare in Norwood (near Cincinnati) Ohio, and now there is some indication it may be spreading into the Akron-Canton area, where I live.
Continue reading Mysterious Illness Overcoming Dogs in Ohio
My local news last night reported on a pet ferret that got into a pack of sugar-free gum and died from eating the Xylitol it contained. This seemed kind of far-fetched to me, so I checked it out. Turns out this very common sugar-substitute is indeed fatal to animals. I know my dogs have gotten into my purse to pull out gum before, but they are so big, I guess it wasn’t enough to hurt them.
The Knowles Animal Clinic in Miami has this to say on the subject:
“Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is used in sugar-free products such as gum and candy, as well as for baking and is used in the production of certain low-carbohydrate products now on the market.
As early as the 1960’s, experiments indicated a link between the ingestion of xylitol
and hypoglycemia in dogs. However, it has only been recently that the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center has begun to receive reports of xylitol toxicosis in dogs. It is believed that this recent rise is likely due to the increased use of products containing xylitol in the United States.”
When a dog eats Xylitol, it causes a huge insulin rush, throwing the dog into a coma similar to how a diabetic ends up when his blood sugar gets too low. In as little as 30 minutes, your dog may begin to show the symptoms such as :
Ataxia (uncoordinated movements)
Hypokalemia (decreased potassium)
Liver dysfunction and/or failure
Pretty scary stuff!
So, until next time, keep that sugar-free candy and gum away from all of your pets.
Good day, and good dog!