I met a mini horse (Dakota) and Golden twins (Jersey and Abby) at the vet today!
Until next time,
Good day, and good dog!
From the CNN iReport, which brings us good news: Christina Summitt works three jobs, trying to support her three step-children, as well as her work in dog rescue. Her own dog, Tucker, a Great Dane-Black Lab mix, is never far from her thoughts. He recently swallowed a plastic ball, and she knew he’d need surgery to remove it, but the estimated cost was $2,700.
Continue reading Tucker Receives Random Act of Huge Kindness
When the family’s Great Pyrenees, Rosco, went missing, Dave Baird feared the worst. He had experienced the theft of two dogs a year ago, and thought tragedy had struck his family twice. He was right about the tragedy, but wrong about the theft.
Continue reading Edmonton Dog Rescued from Frozen River
I had always heard that German Shepherds were smart, but I’m not sure very many dogs could accomplish this!
My local news last night reported on a pet ferret that got into a pack of sugar-free gum and died from eating the Xylitol it contained. This seemed kind of far-fetched to me, so I checked it out. Turns out this very common sugar-substitute is indeed fatal to animals. I know my dogs have gotten into my purse to pull out gum before, but they are so big, I guess it wasn’t enough to hurt them.
The Knowles Animal Clinic in Miami has this to say on the subject:
“Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is used in sugar-free products such as gum and candy, as well as for baking and is used in the production of certain low-carbohydrate products now on the market.As early as the 1960’s, experiments indicated a link between the ingestion of xylitol and hypoglycemia in dogs. However, it has only been recently that the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center has begun to receive reports of xylitol toxicosis in dogs. It is believed that this recent rise is likely due to the increased use of products containing xylitol in the United States.”
When a dog eats Xylitol, it causes a huge insulin rush, throwing the dog into a coma similar to how a diabetic ends up when his blood sugar gets too low. In as little as 30 minutes, your dog may begin to show the symptoms such as :
So, until next time, keep that sugar-free candy and gum away from all of your pets.
Good day, and good dog!