Saturday Survey: Would You Euthanize a Sick Dog?

Several members of my family were debating this lately. My sister’s dog was very ill, to the point where her husband was having to carry Yogi up and down the steps, outside to do his business, and to the food dish at meal times. Without seeing the dog personally, it was hard to know whether or not he was in significant pain, or had any quality of life. Several of my family felt it was time to put him down, several others thought maybe not.
Have you had to face this situation yet? It’s never easy. You have to balance how it appears the dog is feeling vs. your wish to have him forever vs. the expense of keeping him alive vs. possible incontinence concerns vs. what the vet says… The list goes on and on.
So, how do you decide at your house?

Until next time,
Good day, and good dog!

Similar Posts:

5 thoughts on “Saturday Survey: Would You Euthanize a Sick Dog?”

  1. Twice I had to euthanize a 13 or 14 year old Siberian Husky, both of whom I loved dearly. But they couldn’t stand up, could barely walk, would relieve themselves wherever they happened to be (for example where they slept, where they ate). And although I couldn’t prove it, I believed that they were in pain. (What else would prevent them from standing and walking if not pain?) In any case, I had my reservations but I did it, it was sad to do, I missed them, but I believed it was in their best interest to put them down.

  2. two months ago i had to put my 7 yr old bloodhound to sleep. it was the hardest thing i have ever had to do. i always said if my dog ever got sick to the point there was no hope for recovery, and not knowing how much pain she was in i would not have any choice but to put her to sleep…i will love and remember her always..rip, lily untill we meet at the rainbow bridge.

  3. two months ago i had to put my 7 yr old bloodhound to sleep. it was the hardest thing i have ever had to do. i always said if my dog ever got sick to the point there was no hope for recovery, and not knowing how much pain she was in i would not have any choice but to put her to sleep…i will loe and remember her always..rip, lily untill we meet at the rainbow bridge

  4. My brother and sister-in-law have a black lab that will be 13 this summer. Last summer for many months she was extremely ill,possibly got into some poison. My brother could not bear to put her down,his hunting buddy. With LOTS of money and dr. appts,she is still going strong. Not completely healthy but enough to jump up and down when my sister-in-law comes home from work. Within the last couple of weeks, she has had a couple of seizures,one quite severe. All lab work plus a brain xray can’t find anything so they just wait.
    We had a cocker that was going on 13 many years ago. She was slipping and one morning could not move her back end to get up. We knew then it was time to let her go. I currently have an 11 yo English Setter in very good shape but I know one day we will have to let her go too!

  5. I was faced with this decision about 15 years ago when my German Shepherd had cancer. He could no longer get in & out of the house because he couldn’t handle the steps and he was gradually losing the use of his hind legs. His Vet had been urging me for almost two weeks to put him down but I was really struggling with it. He began refusing to drink or eat anything & had to be hospitalized & fed through tubes. The second night of his hospital stay when I had finally decided to let him go peacefully the Good Lord took that decision out of my hands and the Vet called and told me that my little boy had passed away. My heart goes out to anyone who is forced to make this awful choice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>