The AKC National Championship Presented by Royal Canin continues to draw impressive numbers. An entry of 5,051 dogs will compete for the title of National Champion on December 18 and 19, 2021 in Orlando, Florida. Combined with the other weekend events including the AKC Royal Canin National All-Breed Puppy and Junior Stakes, AKC Agility Invitational, the AKC Obedience Classic, AKC National Owner-Handled Series Finals, AKC Fast CAT Invitational and the Junior events, the overall show totals top 8,540 entries, remaining the largest dog show in North America.
“We feel extremely fortunate to be in Orlando, FL once again hosting these events despite the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic,” said Dennis B. Sprung, AKC President and Show Chairman. “The AKC National Championship Presented by Royal Canin continues to be an event that attracts top-quality canine athletes from around the world, and we will uphold the tradition of this magnificent show in a safe manner. Thanks to the knowledgeable breeders, exhibitors, and judges who make the National Championship a must-see event. Adding to the show are our important Fast CAT, Agility, Obedience, NOHS and Junior competitions.”
My son and I went to this show a couple of years ago. Very well organized, loads of vendors, and lots of fun!
AKC NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP BY THE NUMBERS
• 195 AKC-recognized breeds are entered to compete
• 5,051 entries in the AKC National Championship
• The largest entries include:
o 141 Golden Retrievers
o 130 Australian Shepherds
o 89 Labrador Retrievers
o 94 Dachshunds (all varieties)
o 85 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
o 67 Whippets
o 66 French Bulldogs
o 62 Chinese Cresteds
o 58 Pomeranians
o 58 Collies (both varieties)
• 816 dogs are entered in the AKC National Owner-Handled Series (NOHS) Finals
• 142 juniors, ages 9-17, who have met high academic standards and qualification criteria based on year-round competition, will compete in Junior Showmanship
• 1,395 puppies and junior dogs are entered in the AKC/Royal Canin National All-Breed Puppy and Junior Stakes
• 1,096 Bred-by-Exhibitors in competition
• 250 dogs entered in the AKC Fast CAT Invitational
OBEDIENCE CLASSIC AND AGILITY INVITATIONAL BY THE NUMBERS
• 248 teams in the two-day AKC Obedience Classic, including 57 breeds and 6 All-American dogs from 33 states.
• 13 Junior Obedience entries and 14 Junior Rally entries in the AKC Juniors Classic, including 12 breeds and 7 All-American dogs from 11 states.
• 676 entries in the AKC Agility Invitational, including 159 breeds from 45 states.
• 77 entries in the AKC Junior Agility Competition (Friday, Dec. 17th).
Until next time,
Good day, and good dog!
- Preview of AKC National Championship Presented by Royal Canin
- 2016 National Championships By The Numbers
- 16th AKC National Championship Draws Over 4,500 Entries
- Entries Open for AKC National Championship Presented by Royal Canin
- AKC NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP DOG SHOW PRESENTED BY ROYAL CANIN TO AIR ON ABC JANUARY 2nd