The huge dog show known as the AKC National Championship presented by Royal Canin is coming up this weekend (December 17 – 18) in Orlando, Florida. The event actually runs all of this week with lots of preliminary rounds and exhibitors starting on December 13th. Yes, there is a conformation show, including 209 different breeds, as well as a Junior Handling Competition. I’ll bring you more information on those tomorrow. But what I want to talk about today is the stuff that goes on outside of the all-breed show rings.
Event Space at the Orlando Convention Center: over 1 million square feet
Meet the Breed booths: over 150
Total number of entries in all events combined: over 7,000
Last time there was a bigger dog show: 1984
North American Diving Dogs entries: over 700
Obedience Classic: 62 breeds from 35 states, Canada, and Puerto Rico, a total of 248 entries
Agility Invitational: 161 breeds from 44 states and four countries, a total of 700 entries
Junior Obedience: 34 entries
Junior Rally: 38 entries
Junior Agility: 77 entries
My photographer son and I will be arriving late in the day on Friday, so stay tuned for up-to-the-minute posts from the venue.
Until next time,
Good day, and good dog!
- AKC National Championship Will Host Over 5,000 Dogs December 18 – 19 in Orlando
- 16th AKC National Championship Draws Over 4,500 Entries
- Preview of AKC National Championship Presented by Royal Canin
- Entries Now Open for AKC National Championship Presented by Royal Canin
- 2014 AKC / Eukanuba National Championships